We’ll miss you Mrs.Dunlap!

Ronald Crivello-Kahihikolo, Writer

As many may have heard already, one of our long-term, and hard working teachers has decided to retire. Mrs. Dunlap has worked with Konawaena since 1993, but in between that year following up until now, she’s taught at other schools such as, Hookena, and Ehunui. She’s also been a manager at Macy’s. Furthermore, she found her way back to Konawaena high school and became the wildcat that she’s always been.

A get together was organized on May 25th, in the Library. All of the teachers gathered  and shared a few words to those that were leaving Konawaena & awards were also handed out.

Q. “What did it feel like to say goodbye to everybody”?

A. “It was very strange, it was rather surreal because I’ve been in school longer than I’ve been out of school certainly. It was like I finally graduated! It was a good feeling to be finished with a certain part of my life, but at the same time it was very strange because I kept thinking next year this time, I won’t be in this campus.”
Q. “What will you be doing after you retire?”

A. “The first month I will be reading and sleeping! That’s about all I have the energy for. My husband won’t be able to retire for at least another 6 months or so. In that time, I hope to take piano lessons, since I haven’t played since a little kid, and then when he retires, we are going to sell our house here, and we will be moving to Asheville, North Carolina.”

Mrs. Dunlap’s teaching career has allowed her to share her love of great works of  literature and improve the writing skills of her students.  Although it may be sad to see such an amazing teacher leave our Ohana, she will always be missed here. Good luck in all that you do Mrs.Dunlap!