• September 29Help the victims of Hurricanes Irma and Harvey by donating school supplies, ask your advisory teacher for more information

The student news site of Konawaena High School

Wildcat News

Dance to Your Heart’s Content

Grace Branham, Writer

Being a dancer in Hawaii, you take any performance opportunity you can find, no matter how small the stage or how big the audience. You get used to performing in front of strangers and friends alike.

Recently, the studio I work and dance at had it’s first in-house performance, A Night of Tap Dance and Entertainment, and we managed to fit over 150 people onto a 2,000 square foot floor and still leave room for the dancers. We did a two-night show—a 7:00 on Saturday and a 2:00 matinee on Sunday. I preferred the Saturday show, because of the time. It was later in the day, so it wasn’t as hot and it was dark, so we were able to use lights and create blackouts. A blackout is when the lights are shut off between pieces to allow for performers to set up and leave the stage.

This wasn’t the first time I had performed for such a close audience. I’ve done pieces at Mango Festival and the Keauhou Shopping Center that were tiny audiences with even tinier stages. These performances were outside, meaning the hot sun was glaring down. Our Night of Tap performance gave us the leisure of being indoors and allowed us to include a larger audience and a longer show.

We had dressing room on either side—a smaller one for the dancers with quick changes and one outside with multiple changing areas for the rest of the performers. The dressing rooms were a source of much chaos and an equal amount of fun. Costume pieces lay strewn about, hairspray lingered in the air, and everyone tried their best to stay quiet amid all the excitement. The stage worked perfectly for these pieces, dancers were able to put on a rousing show without sacrificing any aspects of the performance.

All the pieces used in the performance were pulled from the past two years and were all choreographed by the studio’s teacher and artistic director Amanda Trusty. Miss Amanda, as she is known by with the dancers, joined in for a few pieces, as well as a duet with breakdance teacher Mike Sato.

The audience loved the show, piling compliments and praise on dancers at curtain call. All in all, the show was a huge success, bringing in significant funds for the studio and spreading the love of dance to the community.