Recap: JROTC 2016

JROTC starts out the year with a big bang!

Ronald Crivello-Kahihikolo, Writer

Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps (JROTC) has been moving at a hasty pace and has already accomplished vigorous duties. From performing at football games and exhilarating assemblies, to side challenges against other schools, JROTC seems to have had quite the busy schedule as of late, not to mention going under an accreditation review and lots of plans for the coming school year.

During the months of August through September, those in JROTC started practicing for air riflery. However, due to complications there had been no competitions, despite the fact that other schools weren’t able to attend meets, competitions will be resumed at some point in January.

In between those practices, JROTC had performed at football home games,  our school assemblies, and the annual 9/11 ceremony. On November 17th, they had an accreditation from the Military, which is an in ranks inspection from the Army, including Army National Guardsman.  They scored a 94, which is a high A, but they didn’t get the honor unit with distinction.

This was followed by  their yearly visit to the beaches.  “ The purpose of this is for the students to learn about the invasive species as well as the careers of national guards which will benefit the students and the community,“ said First Sergeant Lydell Libre.

This year the cadets will clean up fishing ponds, which will act as their service learning project. They’ve also volunteered  at the Kona Craft, and contemplated volunteering at the Christmas parade.

Some outstanding staff members that Major Naki would like to point out is Junior, Riley Nakamura, Sophomore, Justin Roja, and Sophomore, Julia Lim for their hard work.

A couple of upcoming and/or future events that JROTC has in store for everyone are a West Point drill competition in the month of January which will take place in Honolulu, as well as the usual upcoming Military Ball in February which will take place in Hilton Waikoloa, this will be followed up by state competitions in late March.