• September 29Help the victims of Hurricanes Irma and Harvey by donating school supplies, ask your advisory teacher for more information

The student news site of Konawaena High School

Wildcat News

Wildcats Under Construction

Wahine Volleyball

August 22, 2017- Konawaena Junior Varsity volleyball team served the night off with many fresh-faced and hopeful underclassmen ready to take on a new year against the visiting Kea’au Cougars. Although, inexperienced and unseasoned, the younger girls approached the challenge with excitement and ferocity. The Wahine Wildcats went on to lose the match three sets to none. However, there were many moments of rallies and undeterred spirit. Following the match and warm-ups were the varsity cats, who came into this season with returning players such as outside hitter Cherilyn Molina, setter Anaselita Taetuna, Mikayla Ventura, and Kiana Ho’opi’i. The girls got off to a slow start possibly due to nerves and the strong desire to uphold last year’s winning tradition. Losing senior players had sent a rippling effect throughout the team, and there were moments of miscues and miscommunication. The Kona girls had shown glimpses of last year’s finesse and swagger, with Molina leading the squad in kills and Taetuna setting her outside hitters. Kona’s libero Kawehi Lum-One Spinola also had many good defensive bumps as well, protecting the team from Kea’aus strong spikes. However, Kea’au came to the jungle to play too with outside hitters Chynesty Acia and Kaumakama’i Sibayton grouping their team to a victory over Kona. The game went back and forth, with the Cougars winning the first set, dropping the second and third to Kona, then taking home the win in the last two sets. The scores were 25-11, 25-20, 25-23, 25-13, and 15-11. This by no means should discourage the Wildcats though, because it is only the second game of the season. There is room for improvement, but there is no denial of the Wildcat Spirit.