• August 28Konawaena HS Open House, Wednesday, August 30

• August 23Homecoming game Friday night September 15

• August 23Senior Class Breakfast Saturday September 23rd

The student news site of Konawaena High School

Wildcat News

Statehood Day

Sierra Bedgood

Statehood day, the day President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed the very bill August 21st 1959, that concluded in Hawaii becoming the 50th state of the United States of America. Formally known as “Admission Day,” Statehood day is the day that commemorates the anniversary of Hawaii’s statehood. Despite the common controversial aspects of Statehood day, for the most part, this year’s third Friday of August was quiet.

On the contrary for Honolulu, some rabble-rousing occurred at the President William Mckinley High School and there was a march on King Street with Hawaiian activists. Many of the activists were marching with the flag upside down representing a nation in distress. There was even two people holding a rainbow flag standing on the base of the statue. It was a peaceful protest composed of many individuals who felt strongly influenced by the devastating events in Charlottesville, Virginia. Their goal is to take down the President Mckinley statue and have the school renamed. Formally established as Fort Street English Day School and renamed in 1895 to Honolulu High School. It was renamed yet again in 1907 to President William Mckinley High School. When explained the situation Konawaena High School student, Jeneral Lim brought forth the question, “Is being pro-slavery the same as being pro-annexation?” Luckily at Konawaena we were not named after a controversial figure. Instead our school does not represent a figure but it represents a place. Actually, Konawaena means “the center of the leeward side.”

The 25th President of the United States, William Mckinley was in favor of annexation of Hawaii. He, along with three representatives of the Republic of Hawaii signed a treaty which was not approved by Senate because of petitions brought forth by four delegates and Queen Lili’uokalani against annexation. Hawaii was annexed later during the Spanish-American War where Oahu’s Pearl Harbor proved to be valuable as a military base.