• September 29Help the victims of Hurricanes Irma and Harvey by donating school supplies, ask your advisory teacher for more information

The student news site of Konawaena High School

Wildcat News

Lethal and Ladylike

Kapoina Bailey: The Only

Kaimana-Joy Manzano, Sports Editor

Born and raised into a family of rough and tough sports, sophomore Kapoina Bailey has adjusted to being the only girl. Now the offensive lineman for the varsity football team; Bailey is once again, the only girl. When asked about this challenge, Kapoina said that she felt no different. “It feels the same as being on JV because there weren’t any girls either. I was by myself, but that’s okay because they’re my brothers, and they treat me as an equal”. She has certainly paid her dues on the field, creating opportunities for gained and rushed yards and working hard academically as well. But with all these things in mind, the 5’9 sophomore does not find herself getting overwhelmed, but succumbing to the challenge. “I like the intensity of the game, the pressure and the satisfying feeling of making that block”. She speaks modestly of her experiences, saying that she only “plays to stay in shape for rugby, and first tried out as a freshman for the football team”, but others may say that she is paving the way for younger girls wanting to step onto the gridiron. This year, the Wildcats have lost many starters, recreating their roster to one of youth and diversity. Though, Bailey was not bothered. “I feel like we have a pretty solid team, especially having our new seniors hold it down this year.” Being that this is Kapoina’s third year on the grind, she is no longer being seen as the inexperienced rookie, but as the strong and reliable offensive tackle. This goes to show that no matter the gender, no matter the complications, or what others may say, hard work and tenacity will deliver you from an amateur, to a name that will be remembered in the years to come. She is the only girl on the varsity squad, but Kapoina Bailey is using that pressure to her advantage, and as further fuel for success. Not only success, but an example to younger girls, that the impossible has always been possible.