• September 29Help the victims of Hurricanes Irma and Harvey by donating school supplies, ask your advisory teacher for more information

The student news site of Konawaena High School

Wildcat News

Breakdance comes to Konawaena

Attila Sundai commences breakdancing club

Eloisa de Farias

Konawaena High School sophomore, Attila Sundai recently commenced a breakdancing club open to all students of all ages. Attila described his purpose to start the club to be “Making new friendships, creating my own crew, and showing the history of dance through performing”. The breakdance crew that is now blossoming is the first dance related club in Konawaena in over ten years. The fundamentals of dance are  being taught to the students of Konawaena. With plans to perform throughout the year, and to bring break battles to the community, Attila wants to “make everyday a surprise and something new”. The clubs main goal is to rally a group of students to form a performance quality break dance crew.  Recently Attila and Ms. Serrina arranged for Sammy and the Break-Free dancers to perform at Konawaena to a highly welcoming crowd. Sammy teaches break dancing at Mokuaikaua Church and his been a mentor to Attila.

The aspiring dancer began breaking in his Freshman year of high school.  He dances with Kona Dance And Performing Arts in Kealakekua,  Break Free Hawaii in Kona, and Concrete Nation. Attila looks up to dancers like Chris Brown who inspired him to become a dancer. Attila dances because it is an expression of himself, his style, and his ancestors. As a dancer, he aspires to make a name for himself and be remembered as something great. When faced with the question, what does it mean to be a Bboy?, Attila responded with, “there are so many types, you put a lot of work into completing each move, even the simplest moves require work”. Being a bboy is a form of art and allows one to be creative in their own way. Attila advises new incoming dancers to not give up, even if you don’t see progress, because in the future you definitely will. Attila’s final words were that to be a dancer you must have fun with it. With the newest addition of Attila’s new breakdance club, Konawaena is in for a lot of new surprises and opportunities.