• September 29Help the victims of Hurricanes Irma and Harvey by donating school supplies, ask your advisory teacher for more information

Wildcat News

Cool Fusion

My experience dancing at Cool Fusion

Eloisa de Farias

On September 23rd, Holualoa Donkey Mill Arts Center hosted its 11th annual Cool Fusion:Festival of 1000 bowls event. As the title indicates, 1000 ceramic bowls are handmade for this event in which guests can then select their personal favorite to buy and fill with complimentary noodles and prefered toppings. This year was extremely important since the studio I dance at, Kona Dance and Performing Arts, was invited to perform and attend the event. Why is this so critical? Both Donkey Mill Arts Center and Kona Dance and Performing arts are non profit organizations hoping to share the arts to the community of Kona. As a performer, getting invited to perform at an event that’s purpose is to bring awareness and benefit the arts made it all the more hit close to home. One of the most awesome things about performing at Cool Fusion was being able to perform the ballet piece that Miho Morinoue choreographed. Miss Minho has been teaching me dance for three years now and she is an avid member and participant at Donkey Mill Arts Center hence the reason why performing her piece at the event was so special. Like every time I perform, it was magical and there is no other way to explain dance other than the language of the soul and the expression of art through the human body. It was beautiful to see the colorful array of handmade ceramic bowls and seeing people laughing and enjoying their noodles while I spun around in a glittery green costume. The joy of making people smile through my art is what motivates me to dance, and that is why the bond between these two non profit art organizations is so essential to the growth of awareness for art in Hawaii. After performing I selected my bowl, a grey rounded one with little handles, that I then was able to fill with delicious noodles. I was filled with pure bliss seeing all the dancers from Kona Dance and Performing Arts in full costume and tight buns handing their selected bowls to Donkey Mill Art Centers workers who would then fill them with noodles and add small delicate toppings. The exchange between two different kinds of artists, joining together to share their own form of art with the world. I think as community we must strive to bring this gift known as art to as many people as possible. Art takes its form in so many different ways and it is truly touching to see two very different approaches join forces to show Kona what art can really do.