• May 30Have a safe summer, go to konawaenahs.org for school updates

Wildcat News

The Underdogs

Konawaena Girls Volleyball continue on their road to victory

Kaimana-Joy Manzano, Sports Editor

In the first playoff game of the BIIF volleyball tournament, the Konawaena Wildcats slumped the Kohala Cowgirls in three straight sets with sound defense, solid communication, and superior offense. Despite graduating many key players this past year, the Wildcats entered the game with the determination and finesse of a team with drive and undeterred confidence. Before the game, senior captain Mckayla Ventura said “I don’t know if reigniting the win streak is important, but I know I want to try and win it all.” She felt as though the season was a very good learning experience after joining the grind with very young and unseasoned players. Throughout the entirety of the match; there were many rallies, blocked hits, and diving saves truly exhibiting the willpower of each team to win. The first set was neck and neck, until the Konawaena girls were able to cease Kohala from scoring further than 16 points. The first set was won by the Kona girls 25-16, but the players of the black and yellow would not waiver so easily. In the second set of the game, the tension in the air was increasing by the minute. With the clock winding down to the final few seconds of the second set, the Wahine Wildcats clinched the period 25-22, the closest period of the game. With the third and final set underway, both tension and fatigue clutched the air into a palpable smoke. But the Kona girls continued to defend the home court relentlessly, with tenacity and a brute show of strength by taking the last set 25-18. On both sides, offenses dominated. For Kohala, #12 outside hitter Mikayla Kekoa displayed her experience with countless hits and roofs to aid her team in the loss. Konawaena’s #14 Malie Grace played a large role for the Wildcats, smashing balls into the back court and keeping her team motivated with saves and blocks. The ladies of the jungle defended the home court and kept the win at home in three straight sets on their road to the BIIF championship game, while the Cowgirls were sent back North carrying the loss.