• May 30Have a safe summer, go to konawaenahs.org for school updates

Wildcat News

Making History: Zoo Krew goes to Aloha Stadium November 18

Wildcats thwart Marauders in pandemonium filled Julian R. Yates stadium

In a four quarter thriller against the number 8th state ranked Waipahu Marauders, the Konawaena Wildcats took the semi-final match in a nail-biting win amongst a local and visiting fan base. To say that there was one player who stood out would be sorely misplaced, as the Wildcats gathered together in their best offensive showcase of the season. Altogether, the team collected 370 yards with four passed touchdowns and two rushed; every kick by Harry Hill was successful. By the third quarter of the game, the Wildcats had successfully accumulated a comfortable 16 point lead with the score 53-37. But the Marauders refused to throw in the towel and tested the definition of a “comfortable lead”.

In the fourth quarter of the game, essentially the home stretch, the visiting team busted the game open with a pair of touchdowns by running back Alfred Failauga. With the help of costly penalties against Konawaena, Waipahu was in a particularly convenient position to take the semi-final win back to the city lights of the gathering isle. Getting as far as a 1st down and goal opportunity, Konawaena sacked the Waipahu quarterback, forcing a fumble and turnover in the last 30 seconds of the game. Ecstatic and overjoyed at being able to write their names in the history books of Hawaii State football, all Kona players left their posts on the sidelines and rushed the field in pure victory. Pride in being able to hand the Marauders their first loss of the season. This is a night that will be talked about for a long time in Wildcat country. It proves to be a testament of the brawn and resilience of the Wildcat boys on and off the gridiron both in spirit and in will. With the second to last match under the belt, the toil has just begun. Kona is set to face off against defending D2 champions, number 14 state ranked Lahainaluna. Their 62 person roster has proven over and over to be a force to be reckoned with; their only loss handed to them by number 5 state ranked Kamehameha-Kapalama. The Lunas leader in yards rushed is senior starter Elijah Ragudo with a total of 410 yards, and the offensive line remains strong behind junior quarterback #3 Etuati Storer with 247 yards passed. Altogether, this Maui team averages 252 yards offensively per game. This final game will take no shortage of strength and avidity, but with such pride in the sport being shown by the Wildcats already, there is no task too large.