• September 29Help the victims of Hurricanes Irma and Harvey by donating school supplies, ask your advisory teacher for more information

Wildcat News

The Gender Pay Contrast

Professional baseball and softball salary gap

Pennsylvania Rebellion vs USSSA Pride at Jane B. Moore Field on Saturday, June 18, 2016 in Auburn, Ala.Dakota Sumpter

Dakota Sumpter

Dakota Sumpter

Kaimana-Joy Manzano, Sports Editor

There are distinct differences between Major League Baseball and the less known female National Professional Fastpitch Softball League. For example, the softball field is smaller, the ball being pitched is bigger, but most importantly, the salary difference of the average professional players are $2,994,000. The average paycheck throughout the season for a Major League Baseball player is $3,000,000, while a professional softball player makes $6,000. But why would the pay difference be so substantial? To be quite honest, not many people buy tickets for a softball game, and fewer people tune in to watch the NPF than the MLB. 

The salary differences certainly are not because of the lack of games because each team in the NPF amounts to about 50 games per season. The teams are very closely matched in the skill it takes to play the game, and every player on the field shows an impactful amount of heart when playing the game. There are five teams in the professional softball league, the USSSA Pride, the Scrapyard Dawgs, the Texas Charge, the Chicago Bandits, and the Akron Racers. In comparison, there are 30 teams in the MLB. With $6,000 being paid to professional softball players a season, let’s keep in mind that that sum is certainly not sizable at all. With this in mind, many of the league’s players must work jobs on the side to support themselves throughout the year, whereas baseball players can be paid huge amounts for working the same job. For example, NPF USSSA Pride shortstop Sierra Romero holds softball camps for younger girls all around the country to enhance their skills, train their mindset, and develop them into young women. During the off season, this is what she does to pay the bills because the pro salary just doesn’t cut it. Being a softball player myself I can say that I’m pretty upset by the unequal pay for the male and female sport. I realize that there are much bigger crowds for the Major League, but softball players are working equally as hard on and off the field to better their physical and mental game. These girls have been working hard all their lives to be paid the minimal amount and I realize that there’s not enough money in the league, but splitting the funds from the MLB in half would certainly be a start. In a way, women’s volleyball gets a gargantuan amount of viewers from all around the world, certainly more than softball.. So does softball need to change their outfit to something more scandalous to gain more viewers?