Feeling Left Out: One Student’s Quest to Belong

Back to Article
Back to Article

Michael Varela, Writer

Have you ever been in the spotlight?  Not too many kids get that chance; the chance to be honored or noticed,and this is surprising, because many kids have the potential to be noticed for their unique contributions. But some throw it away and don’t put in any effort because they may not believe that they are unique or special.

I believe every student deserves to be noticed, and it doesn’t always have to be in the realm of academia.  

For example, someone can stand out because of the way they dress. The way we dress  is a creative outlet of self-expression and the way they want to be portrayed to the outside world.  I have seen many students come to school with unique apparel, they are being themselves by showing their true personality and showing an aspect of themselves that is different from everyone else. To be honest, that takes a lot of confidence.

I’ve had experience with standing out based on how I present myself, I have tried to be myself, but sometimes I’ve been mocked by my peers which makes me self conscious and my confidence goes down. I never thought confidence was a big deal in my life, but it is. Some of the students who don’t understand that fashion is a form of self-expression can sometimes look at you in a weird way.  I have to admit I’ve seen students dress or act a certain way and I have laughed at them. Looking back at those types of moments, I could see myself being laughed at as well. But I think after it all, I would stick out by expressing myself because that’s the real me, and I hope other students will have the same courage as well.