• November 5Thanksgiving Break November 22-23

• November 5No School Veterans Day, November 12

• November 5No School on Election Day, November 6th

Wildcat News

Students Stress

Leila Faler and Michael Varela, Assistant Editor and Writer

Stress affects high school students worldwide. From acute, episodic to chronic stress, it can cause students to struggle with not only their academic performance but also their home life.

There are three main forms of stress.
The most common type of stress is acute stress, which is usually shown in response to new tasks or challenges and demands. This type of stress often triggers a fight-or-flight response. Flight-or-fight is a reaction the body goes into where the host will either face the situation at hand or avoid it. Episodic acute stress is much more frequent and is usually caused by a crisis. According to Healthline, people experiencing Episodic acute stress are often irritable, short tempered and anxious. The last and most destructive type of stress is Chronic stress. Chronic stress is usually a form of prolonged unresolved acute stress, this stress continues for long periods  and does not go away.

Believe it or not, but students have more stress than adults. In an article by NBC News titled, Teens More Stressed-Out Than Adults, Survey Shows, reported the average of student stress levels. “On average, teens reported their stress level was 5.8 on 10-point scale, compared with 5.1 for adults (Teens More Stressed-Out Than Adults, Survey Shows, NBC)”.  It also states that 30 percent say they feel sad or depressed relating to stress, a handful of 31 percent state they feel overwhelmed.

Many high school students deal with stress caused by due dates. These often short periods of time tend to leave a student feeling overwhelmed with the amount of work. It could be because they procrastinated until the last minute, they do not understand the topic or just don’t feel encouraged to participate. Often times, these factors lead students to believe that school is irrelevant. This may then lead to slacking in school, falling behind and experiencing acute or chronic stress.

Although dealing with stress can be difficult, there are ways to help prevent and avoid its recurrence. “Skills you need” quotes that caffeine, alcohol and nicotine are all factors that can contribute to excessive stress in young adults. The best advice I can think provide is to avoid these triggers at all costs. Studies also show that physical activity can help reduce stress levels. For high school students who are dealing with acute or even chronic stress, getting more sleep has proven to be one of the best methods in reducing stress.

Overall, stress is extremely common and is present throughout high schools all over the world. Stress is completely natural and everyone experiences it throughout their life. However, at some points, it can interfere with a student’s ability to actively participate in school and struggle at home. This makes it difficult to deal with everyday activities. If this is happening to you, put someone you know, please tell a friend or family member and seek help immediately.