• November 5Thanksgiving Break November 22-23

• November 5No School Veterans Day, November 12

• November 5No School on Election Day, November 6th

Wildcat News

Canada Just Legalized Marijuana: Should the U.S.?

Leila Faler, Assistant Editor

There is a large debate regarding the recreational use of marijuana, and it has stirred a commotion for both users and non-users worldwide. For centuries, the legalization of Marijuana has been a taboo topic. People all over have either despised the idea or preached it. This year, however, Canada stepped up and officially made recreational marijuana legal.

Until recently, Canada, much like other countries, had a law prohibiting the use of marijuana. On October 17th, marijuana was declared legal by the senate, a bill passed with a vote of 52-29. Canada is now the second country in the world which allows the recreational use of marijuana. In Canada, people are permitted to buy, use, posses and grow marijuana under the law. According to CNN, buyers must purchase from retailers regulated by certain provinces and territories. when those options are not available, buyers are permitted to purchase from federally licensed producers. In addition, according to a Washington Post report, it found that Legal marijuana could potentially   $132 billion in federal tax revenue and 1 million jobs based on a study. Even though usage within the country is legal, leaving the country under the possession of marijuana can lead to criminal charges.

Although Canada has been on the more optimistic side of legalizing the drug, most of the U.S is still in denial when it comes to all the positive impacts it has on people. Almost all individuals have heard facts and seen studies/research that proves that marijuana is medicinal and does nothing to harm those over a certain age. Marijuana is only harmful to minors, whose brains are not fully developed.  It is understandable to be against the abuse of marijuana in minors, however, it is illogical to judge the drug purely based on opinion rather than facts.

Medical marijuana is the medical use of cannabis sativa or cannabis Indica used to relieve symptoms of, or treat diseases and conditions, and used to aid pain, nausea, muscle spasms, anxiety, depression, multiple sclerosis, low appetite, sleep problems, epilepsy and many other conditions.

Despite the warnings, minors have a relatively large illegal hold on the drug. It still finds its way into communities, like any illegal substance. If the drug continues to be illegal or not, minors will still find ways to access it. Take alcohol, for example.it is illegal for minors, however that does nothing to stop the high usage rates in teens. Keeping marijuana illegal has no effect on the use of minors. Therefore, keeping the drug illegal to those who should be able to use it forces more to involve themselves in criminal activities.