Why It’s Not The End Of The World To Be Alone On Valentine’s Day

Back to Article
Back to Article

Caylin Ziemelis, Editor in Chief

Remember in kindergarten when Valentine’s Day was just a day where we all stuffed ourselves with sugar cookies and handed out cards? A time when we all had to make a Valentine’s Day card for every single person in our class so nobody would feel left out, then by the end of the day we would stuff ourselves with pizza the babysitter put in the oven because mom and dad were on date night? Well, unfortunately, high school Valentine’s day is a little different.

Now, girls walk around with store-bought chocolate and fluffy teddy bears. They are snapchatting “heart eyes” filters, with their boyfriends telling everyone how much they love them. And then they proceed to come into class with a dozen red roses, as if somehow that made you more popular in math. Boys are going to be walking hand-in-hand with their girlfriends around campus, holding all of the KTA gifts they bought, while all the single students watch with jealous eyes.

Being alone on Valentine’s Day comes with many good sides. For example, you don’t have to stress about buying the perfect gift, or writing some sentimental card that’s filled with lies, because in reality you guys have only been dating for two weeks. Another good thing is, that the next day, the store is filled with discount candy and roses, so you can stuff your face and listen to every heartbreak song by Adele on a budget.

On average, you will probably have around 60 – 70 Valentine’s Days left of your life, so it’s not the end of the world to be alone on Valentine’s Day in high school, because one day, you’re going to have a girlfriend or boyfriend or even a wife or husband who will buy you roses or chocolate, not because it’s cool to walk around with in the hallways, but because they really love you.