The Artifact Project

Leila Faler, Assistant Editor

One of the modern Hawaiian History classes at Konawaena High School developed a project specifically targeting old methods and practices based on Hawaiian culture, known as the Artifact Project. This project was intended to give students a better understanding concerning cultural groups and how these practices are relevant today. Each group was given the freedom to choose what they wanted to research, make a google slide and present to the class their hand made and or interactive topic.  

11th grader Hina Gladden and 10th grade Stacy Maghanoy did their project on hula dancing and it’s significance throughout Hawaiian culture. Hina and Stacey chose to do their artifact project on hula because Hina had previous knowledge within the field. Stacy on the other hand, has lived on the Big Island her whole life, however only knew Hawaiian history from school in 7th grade, therefore knew vaguely of Hula and it’s history. In contrast, Hina has been practicing the Hawaiian dance since she was four, hence had some previous knowledge that aided in the production of the project.

For the majority of her life, Hina has been culturally involved in Hawaiian practices including dancing Hula. “I was born on the big island and learned most of the history from my mom,” states 11th grader Hina Gladden.  Hina’s mother kept their culture alive by including chanting, hula dancing and speaking Hawaiian as everyday rituals. When the project arose, Hina and Stacy, with the help of their modern Hawaiian History teacher, Mrs. Borromeo, brainstormed and concluded what they would do their project on.

Although Hina had some previous knowledge, throughout the artifact project she realized how much she still didn’t know about the topic, which as she quotes, opened her mind and become more appreciative when it comes to Hula. Stacy, who was surrounded by the culture here her whole life but knew little about it before the project took place, felt like she had a greater understanding and felt privileged to be able to do to hula because of their research.