Does Gender Inequality Affect Society?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Does Gender Inequality Affect Society?

Several Sophomores are enjoying the voices of one another.

Jazmine Yoshioka, Associate Editor

Initially, we believe multiple things when it comes to “gender inequality.” To start off, let’s discuss the main concept of what gender inequality is really about. Gender inequality acknowledges that men and women are not equal, and that gender affects an individual’s lived experience. When reading this statement, think about what comes to mind, half of you may agree with this statement and the other half of you may disagree. Therefore, no answer is right or wrong, everyone has their own voice and they are able to think about what they desire. So as you continue to read be sure to keep this question in mind: Does gender inequality affect society?

Moreover, let’s listen to a few thoughts on gender inequality. According to an article entitled “The Effects of Gender Disparity Ripple Through an Organization” written by Paul Trevino it stated in paragraph # 5 that “Does the gender disparity really have negative effects in the workplace? YES! Yes, it does! Gender inequality not only affects individual employees, it can also affect the overall economic performance of the organization. Besides being illegal, discriminating on the basis of gender has far reaching implications for your female employees as well as for their male colleagues.”

To summarize, what this information is explaining is that females don’t only have their personal challenges at work they also have challenges with getting paid the full amount of what they’re putting their effort. In addition, people may be harassed in their workplace because they are women. Consequently, bosses choose not to pay them as much because they think that they don’t work as hard as the men do according to research. To add on, another text named “Gender Inequality Affects Everyone” authored by Victoria it proves, in paragraph #6 “Women from culturally diverse communities experience racism and discrimination on top of gender inequality”. In other words, this information means that in several cultures, women encounter the emotion of not being wanted or valued. For instance, China is a great connection to this text because when a girl is born, they don’t approve of it. They believe that they are weak, however, when a boy is born they are delighted. Meanwhile, in their culture boys represent a sense of strength and courage as well as being capable of inheriting land. 

On the other hand, for those individuals who believe that gender inequality doesn’t affect society here are a handful of statistics that are relatable. First of all, there’s a credible YouTube video called “There is No Gender Wage Gap” produced by The American Association of University Women (a feminist organization) states that “…the average income of all men is, say, 40,000 dollars a year while the average annual income for all women is 30,800 dollars. Nevertheless, this would mean that women earn 77 cents for every dollar a man earns otherwise stated 30,800/40,000=0.77.” To illustrate a picture, this information is stating that gender inequality doesn’t affect society because the men are happy humans who get the easy path. They are thought to be the strong ones who get higher wages and superior jobs according to studies. Furthermore, in the same YouTube video it proves that “The small wage gap that does exist has nothing to do with paying women less, let alone with sexism; it has to do with differences in individual’s career choices that men and women make.” Initially, this is proving that when men and women decide their careers whether it be in the medical fields, law fields, or design fields. They are choosing a job that will benefit them drastically with high paying wages, or be the total opposite. For example, if a male or a female, were to enter the design field, they would be manufacturing an annual average income of about  $73,930. As they progress in their businesses they would be making tons more. 

In conclusion, gender inequality can be portrayed in numerous ways, people have their own opinions and they aren’t always alike. After reading this, have you changed your perception of gender inequality affecting society, or have your thoughts remained the same?