Back To School Assembly

The+Konawaena+Football+Team+with+the+Spirit+Stick.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Back To School Assembly

The Konawaena Football Team with the Spirit Stick.

On Thursday, August 15th, 2019, Konawaena High School gathered for yet another Welcome Back Assembly. All the students, old and new, rushed into the gym filling the bleachers. There were the Funky Freshmen, Savvy Sophomores, Jazzy Juniors, and last but not least, South Side Seniors. This assembly occurs every year; Its purpose is to welcome the newcomers and begin the year on a new and spirit-filled slate. As the students settled, Emcees Shane-Victor and Kyndra Nakamoto avert the attention of the students to themselves to begin the assembly. Shortly afterwards, the mic is handed to the KHS Principal and vice-principals, Shawn S. Suzuki, Diane Spencer and Momilani Kaehuaea, who all give a short but sweet speeches of gratitude to welcome the students.
Once the mic came back around again to Suzuki, he brought everyone’s attention to 16-year-old Gwenevieve Ophelia Rubis, a student of KHS who passed away after a fatal motorcycle accident in which her and the other driver were both pronounced dead at the scene. Suzuki prompted a moment of silence to her that lasted about 30 seconds, and each second passed slowly. All classes hung their heads low, some closing their eyes, others praying, regarding Gwen. She was a student in our community and now may she rest in peace.
After the heartfelt moment of silence for Gwen Rubis, Brianna sang the star-spangled banner who sang along with Cleselle Espejo, who also sang Hawai’i Pono’i. These two national anthems are well-respected, although they are sung in two different languages. Being able to sing these two national anthems means being able to show gratitude and aloha not just for the school but also for the islands. Knowing that the two national anthems brought an opening, The Alma Mater was lead by Konawaena High School athletes, and the leading leadership class which respectively ended everything including programs for the school assembly. the whole school followed along singing it with respect and honor.  “Being able to sing the Alma Mater with the sports team made it really feel like I belong to this school even though I’m not in the sports team,” said Martin Joseph, a Junior. The Alma Mater brings an importance and signifies the school’s history,  After they sang the Alma Mater, everyone was seated and waited for the bell to be dismissed for lunch.
The performances really stood out, which would not have been possible without the Wildcats very own cheerleaders. The cheerleaders had shown wild pride and enthusiasm with outstanding performance. With a sprinkle of gymnastics here and there, and overflowing with confidence, they made the crowd riled up with the excitement, which led the crowd cheering for the cheerleaders. “It’s nerve-wracking to have to cheer in front of others, but it’s a very fun and hardworking sport. Cheerleading takes a lot of commitment and dedication but the results are worth it,” said Brianna Izawa from the Juniors. The excitement was just getting warmed up after seeing the cheer-leaders superb and well-done performance.
Homecoming announcements brought all students to hear about the excitement for this year’s Homecoming assembly. They have nominated new students for student grade class president and such for this year and the following years homecoming and new students for homecoming king and queen. They announced all the names for this years homecoming. For this year’s king and queen; Jim Macabinguil and Zane Garrigan. Senior attendants are Kitana Heinicke and Cade Taniyama. Sophomore attendants are Julia Deleon and Hauola Roback. Last but not least, the freshmen attendants are Faith Molina and Tayvin Gaspar.
After the Homecoming announcements came the class competitions. Ten players from each class (Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors) gathered for the first competition, called “Clean Your Room”. The aim of the game was to make sure your team’s side had less trash than the opposing side. The first match was Freshmen against Juniors, with the Juniors taking the win. Then came the second match, which was Sophomores versus Seniors, with the Seniors taking the victory royale. It was down to Juniors against Seniors, with the Seniors winning the game overall.
Afterwards came the second and final class competition for the assembly; the clapping game. Each class was to clap the school clap to their fullest, with the winning class being determined by the onlooking judges. Each class gave a proud and mighty clap that shook the stands they were sitting on. In the end, the Senior class was determined to be the loudest of them all and came out triumphant in both of the class competitions, and winning Konawaena’s very own Spirit Stick.
After all the excitement and heartfelt moments from the welcome back assembly; The KHS news team got to interview some interesting thoughts from other students from each grade level. “After the assembly, I got excited about this school year,” said a freshman. “Very entertaining, it’s fun to watch student and teachers play games and test their school spirit,” said Alisha from the 11th grade who seemed to have been amused from the assembly. The assembly sure got the students ready to start the school year with excitements and stunning competitions between each grade level.  “It was good to see the wildcats showing their pride for the school. The assembly made everyone wild in a good way,” said Bobery Debrum, a sophomore. “I had a lot of fun. I had a lot of enthusiasm. This is the first time I took part in the energizer and competitions. I had so much fun,” said Viridiana, a Senior. This goes to show that assemblies can bring up so much fun in different ways and that can motivate other students to show off their inner Wildcat!