Wildcat Victory Against Kealakehe

Back to Article
Back to Article

Wildcat Victory Against Kealakehe

Leigh George, Sports Editor

Football games are the source of many students’ excitement and enthusiasm at Konawaena High School. The first BIIF game of the season against cross-town rivals, Kealakehe Waveriders, brought a multitude of people. August 17th was a day anticipated by all. On this day, students and families came together in support of Konawaena’s Wildcats.

As a Wildcat we are proud to say, the Wildcats’ Football team took a step up this year into the Division I category. Moving up together as a D1 team will bring competition, but Konawaena is ready for the challenge. Along with this improvement, this year also brought some new additions to the Wildcats’ Football. These additions include new starting quarterback Kainoa “Boo” Jones, running back and defensive back Hezekiah Anahu-Ambrosio, along with safety and receiver Kaden Baptista. Despite originating from the opposing school, these students are now welcomed as Wildcats.

Some people gathered hours before, lining up for food and snacks at the concession stand, ran by the Konawaena Tennis team. Others talked among themselves, predicting the outcome of the game. Many teams participate in a pregame routine. While preparing yourself physically plays a big role, preparing a player’s mentality is just as important. When asked about their routine, one player says that they bond well over music then suit up and pray together. It pulls the team closer together while having fun before a game. Teamwork is important for this team which just helps them play a better game.

The awaited game soon began with the introduction of the varsity team, people in the stands cheering with no obvious intention of saving their voices for the next day. The first quarter triggered competitive and eager cheers from the crowd. The anticipation and excitement led the Wildcats into the second quarter with intentions of scoring. A touchdown by Jesse Canda had the crowd cheering together in support. The crowd held onto their enthusiasm until the next two touchdowns, both taking place in the fourth quarter. Another touchdown was made by Jesse Canda, along with a touchdown from Kainoa “Boo” Jones. In typical Wildcat fashion, varsity humbly strutted away with their win, victoriously defeating Wave Riders, with the final score 24-7, Konawaena.