Student Store Soft Opening

Some+of+the+Konawaena+Wildcat+merchandise+available.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Student Store Soft Opening

Some of the Konawaena Wildcat merchandise available.

Tobias McNicholas, Editor

During Wiki on Friday, September 13th, 2019, Konawaena’s new student-operated store previewed for the first time! This was not the store’s grand opening, but a soft one, to show Konawaena students some of the neato things in the store’s selection. The store, owned and operated by Ms. Borromeo’s Entrepreneurship class, is located across the counselors, in room F118. This student-store will be open during Wiki and lunch. The real grand opening will take place on Wednesday, October 2nd, 2019. 

The selection of items available for purchase consists of a wide variety of official Konawaena Wildcats merchandise, ranging from sweatshirts and hoodies to sleeveless tees and t-shirts. The selection also includes some healthy refreshments, like granola bars and water. As most of us students may not realize, selling snacks, or something of the sort, on school campus is illegal, since it might contain those darned narcotics that no one likes. Having a student-operated store to sell refreshments not only allows for people to get their snack on, but it also educates and teaches students how one successfully operates a store.  

Ms. Borromeo teaches the Entrepreneurship class, the students who operate the store and determines how the store functions behind-the-scenes. When asked about the driving force behind the idea to start a student store, Ms. Borromeo explained, “We wanted to provide refreshments and spirit merchandise to help build school spirit.” Each student in the Entrepreneurship class has an assigned role in running the student store, from security guards to cashiers. “As the accounting manager, my responsibility is to make sure the store is profitable, so when operating the store, cash handling, observing the movement of inventory, and merchandise security are all things I have to focus on. The student store allows me to learn about business hands-on, rather than writing an essay about it,” said Ashley of the Entrepreneurship class.