Keiki in the Kitchen

Back to Article
Back to Article

Keiki in the Kitchen

Konawaena enjoyed partnering with Greenwell Farms in producing our own coffee!

Jazmine Yoshioka, Associate Editor

Spearheaded by the Business Program at Konawaena High School, Entrepreneurship and Marketing classes are participating in the Keiki in the Kitchen event in Honolulu at The Victoria Ward Park on Sunday, October 27th from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm. This event showcases Buddy Valastro, also known as Cake Boss, leading a Halloween-themed cupcake decorating sessions for 400 children. Furthermore, there will be numerous school booths to purchase locally-made products at this event, with Konawaena included in the marketplace to showcase their new line of coffee called Wildcat Coffee. This year, with the help and partnership of Greenwell Farms, students will be learning about coffee production, from picking coffee cherry to packaging. 10 Konawaena students have been sponsored for airfare and accommodations by the Hawaii Agricultural Foundation to participate in the festivities. At the event, students will garner hands-on experience in sales and marketing in front of a captive audience of culinary enthusiasts. These skills have been built in the classroom and will be implemented that day.

I had the opportunity to interview one of the students in the delegation as well as the teacher spearheading the program. Senior Shayne Victor, who is the student store manager under the business program, was sponsored to attend the event. He stated “The field trip will benefit the students and myself because we will encounter how the business world works. For instance, we will gain the skills of business management, inventory, marketing along with being able to develop new skills in working with social media. In addition, using social media as a resourceful tool is great because we are capable of creating new advertisements. Moreover, this is important because we can have the ability to get our word out there and explore new opportunities.” In addition, I was able to interview Mrs.Borromeo the Business/Journalism teacher stating how has the Career & Technical Education Department has been a success in working more closely with each other to see this event come to fruition. 

“It was awesome to see Mrs. Alcain in the Agriculture department present this idea that we work closely with Hawaii Agricultural Foundation’s new Young Entrepreneurs Program to align the culinary and ag world with business. Seeing that we are situated in a farming community, moving Konawaena’s business program toward agriculture and sustainability really makes sense for our students. I believe that agricultural business is where our students can truly succeed in their businesses.” 

In conclusion, giving  students the opportunity to partake in activities that are influential to life they gain cooperating skills that will benefit them now and the future. In addition, The Keiki in the Kitchen event will be a successful experience for our young individuals including teachers. In the end, we Konawaena Wildcats are proud and are super excited that we have partnered with an amazing company, and have created our own Konawaena Wildcats Coffee.