Will Banning Flavored E-Juice Increase Student Cigarette Use?

Vapes+are+bad%2C+sure%2C+but++cigarettes+are+worse.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Vapes are bad, sure, but  cigarettes are worse.

Vapes are bad, sure, but cigarettes are worse.

Tobias McNicholas, Editor

Simply put, many students have a vaping addiction. Additionally, certain students perceive vaping on campus as a “hip” and “cool” trend. Personally, I don’t know why they would think that, considering the well-known fact that vaping causes a whole load of health problems. Why would anyone want those damaging impacts? Vaping was originally meant to help with those recovering from nicotine addictions, but use among minors skyrocketed in recent years with the rise in flavored vape juices. Even with laws forbidding anyone under the age of 18 from purchasing and using e-cigs and vapes, this immense issue is continuously growing among American youth. Many states and individual stores are banning the sale of flavored vape juices and, in certain cases, vape juices in general. With this course of action, one would hope for the vaping direction to drift to a decline. In a contrasting thought, what if these bans only increase the use of tobacco cigarettes? 

Everyone has an image as to how teenagers behave these days. You either used to live the teen-life or are one yourself. When we can’t get what we want, we just end up wanting it even more. For example, when we are told to put our phones away in class, we’ll just pull them back out when the teacher isn’t looking. Not all of us, of course, but you understand the point. So, if flavored vape juices or even regular juices are eliminated, who’s saying that those students won’t just move on to another, more harmful, source of nicotine- regular cigarettes? We may not know as much about vape juices and their effects as much as we do regular tobacco products, but there are facts as to how harmful those regular tobacco products are.