STAY HUMBLE PRAY

Back to Article
Back to Article

STAY HUMBLE PRAY

Manica DeBrum, Rayanard Albious, News Staff Writer

On October 17, 2019, the Stay Humble Pray assembly was held at Konawaena High School gym. The assembly was lead by three motivational speakers, each with different life stories that involved the past and each of their past held key events that lead them to be the person they are today. The Stay Humble Pray assembly held many motivating stories that kept every student in the gym quiet and focused and wasted no time at all. The first one to grab every student’s attention was Kyle Quilausing, who told an inspiring story on how he was a drug abuser and a criminal. Quilly’s story got every student to have a sense of what his past was like and how these events changed the way he lived his life forever. As Kyle was talking about his story, he added emotions and humor to grab everyone’s attention. He then talked about how drugs turned his life upside down and how he changed from doing meth also known as “ice”. Doing drugs changed his life, and they later caught him up in robberies and fights. As Kyle Quilausing showed his mug shot to the whole school, every student was in a moment of shock as they wouldn’t expect to see Kyle Quilausing in a mug shot unexpectedly. Kyle escaped from jail a few times, which added a few more years through sentencing. While he was behind bars for three years, he never contacted a single person. Kyle didn’t even see a human being or speak to one for 3 years behind bars. Upon his addiction, he served 10 years in high custody prison. In prison, he found God and fitness. He was saved. Now that he served his time and is free and sober, he committed his life to God. Staying humble and praying was how he survived through prison. Everyone was so moved by his inspiring story and his words were as if they were sharp like knives. No one will ever forget Kyle and his motivational speech. The brand “Stay Humble Pray” was first founded by Kyle Quilausing himself and the first was recognizable at Hilo. 

After Kyle Quilausing told of his past and story of motivation and passion, he passed the mic on to Daryl Sampaga, also known by the name of “Sammy”. Daryl Sampaga is the founder of OSMD Hawai’i. Their slogan is “Block out muscle disease, pursue happiness!”. This slogan means a lot to Daryl as he is affected by a muscle disease, which has had a significant impact on him and his family history. Sammy told of when he was playing baseball and had a picture with the greatly renowned Ellison Onizuka. Sammy had a connection with sports. But one day, Sammy could not play because of the results from his physical. Tragedy happened and he could not play sports and blamed it on his mother for not being able to take part in sports. Sammy later walked around the islands and he not only walked for some exercise but he also walked for people giving them hope. He gave hope to people with muscular dystrophy, which made an accomplishment and reached Sammy’s goal. Sammy also told his sad story about how his first daughter took her own life just from bullying. His second daughter tried taking her own life but was luckily seen by her brother. Sammy’s hardest walk was walking right up to her daughter’s casket and seeing her daughter in that casket. It was a hard subject for Sammy to bring up. The sadness could be felt deeply as he told this story. Sammy noted that bullying is unnecessary, and it is best to speak up and tell others and that bullying is not the way to treat others. The whole school was moved and could feel the pressure from his deeply sad past and the school remained silent feeling. Sammy told not only his story in a depressed point of view but also included strong mindsets for the school. The whole school repeated after Daryl making a promise on not doing drugs and that they will remain strong and independent. This was a good way for the school to remind students that drugs are not the answer. Sammy founded OSMD to let other people know that there is still hope for people with muscular dystrophy and to stay strong. 

The mic was passed on again to Tanimotofoto and as he was talking about his past; it seemed like a hard subject to bring up. As he was talking, you could feel how he felt and how heavy he felt. He had times where he needed to take a moment to himself and realize his anxiety. You could tell that he was trying to hold back his emotions and his feelings. Tanimoto felt very nervous to share out his side of his story. He suffered from overdosed use of alcohol; He was facing depression, anxiety and also had suicidal thoughts. It was during his college years when he was just 20. He first came in contact with “shrooms” or “magic mushroom” a drug based on a mushroom plant which changed his perspective on reality. One night he overdosed on shrooms and his friend yelled at him to leave, the tone and mood and his words which he said he got really hit by deeply affected him. So he ran away and climbed the streetlight, as he continued to climb higher, he thought to himself that he could escape from reality. He took a wrong step and got shocked and landed on the ground. Students looked keen to know what happened next.  He was deeply wounded and had several burns on his whole body and broke his leg, making a deep cut/hole. While he was in the hospital, he realized that suicide is not the answer. Tanimoto gave a message addressing everyone that suicide will never be the answer and that it is better to reach out to someone for help.

The assembly was one not to forget. It taught more than words can express and reminded us not to forget our independence and to keep moving forward and strive and also to not part- take in drugs and that bullying is unnecessary. All three speakers did an excellent job of informing the whole school and motivating every student. “I wouldn’t have had a better understanding and perspective if it weren’t for these guy’s” says Jeri Adwar, a student from Konawaena from the junior grade level. “These guys taught us a lot more than you think”.