Wildcat Caiyle Kaupu Commits to UC Irvine

Back to Article
Back to Article

Leigh George, Sports Editor

Caiyle Kaupu is currently a senior at Konawaena High School and on July 29th, 2019, she made a decision that would determine her basketball career. Kaupu is motivated senior who knows her goals and strives everyday to achieve them. She has demonstrated this ambition by starting her college career as a UC Irvine commit. 

LG (Leigh George) : Why did you choose UC Irvine? 

CK (Caiyle Kaupu) : I chose UC Irvine because I had a “family” feeling  with the coaches and the players that would be there when I would attend UCI. I also fell in love with the campus, it was huge, beautiful and pretty convenient. But what really got me was the head coach, Coach T, she was very straightforward with me, with her being from Hawaii she also knows what it’s like to be a kid from here. 

LG: What do you plan to focus on / major in ? 

CK: As of right now im undecided in what I’ll be studying

LG: Did you look at many schools before choosing UC Irvine? 

CK: I had a couple visits planned including UH Manoa and University of Portland.  

LG: What is your biggest takeaway (lesson learned) from basketball?  

CK: My biggest take away would take away from basketball is that nothing is ever given, you always need to work hard to get what you want to be where you want. 

LG: Do you plan on keeping basketball in your life, for the rest of your life?  

CK: Yes, I plan on playing basketball as long as I can but if not i’ll still be involved in the basketball world some way. 

LG: What is your greatest achievement?  

CK: I think my greatest achievement would have to be getting my full ride scholarship because not much kids from Hawaii can say they went D1 on a full ride. And it just goes to show that if you work hard and surround yourself with people that want you to be successful just as bad as you want to then it will pay off. 

LG: How and when did you first get into basketball? 

CK: My older sister played and I kind of just picked it from her. 

LG: What made you keep basketball in your life? 

CK: The people I met along the way. 

LG: Do you have a support system that you lean on when going through struggles in basketball? If yes, who? 

CK: My teammates, we are always there to pick each other no matter, one struggles we all struggle, one triumphs we all triumph. 

LG: What is the best part about basketball?  

CK: Being around people that I can share laughs and tears with. 

LG: If you could describe your experience with basketball in one word, what would it be? 

CK: UNFORGETTABLE

Since then, Caiyle Kaupu has put a lot of sweat and tears into the game, along with the lessons that came with it. It is obvious that basketball is not just a game to Caiyle Kaupu. She has demonstrated this many times and has applied many of the life lessons learned in basketball into her social and emotional life. Basketball requires a hard-working mindset that doesn’t come easy to most. Perseverance means to do something despite how hard it is in order to reach success. This is relevant towards Caiyle because although she struggled, she earned a full ride scholarship to a great school.