The Future Generation

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Future Generation

Mark Basa is a Senior at Konawaena High School

Aruel Justine Alejandro

Aruel Justine Alejandro

Aruel Justine Alejandro

It’s almost time for the seniors of Konawaena High to bid farewell to the students and staff here at Konawaena High School. On May 23, 2020, Graduation day arrives and our fellow seniors will be greeted with parents and teachers, commending them for their accomplishments and bidding them farewell.  As graduation day nears, the days of school begin to disappear, replaced by the days of adulthood and responsibility. This puts pressure on them as they prepare for adulthood. Most of the seniors are prepared. Still other seniors feel they need more time to think of how they will adjust their paths to their dream life. So, we decided to interview some of the seniors and see what plans they have ahead of them, or what they are planning.  We recently interviewed three seniors about what they plan to do in life after they graduate High School.  

One of the seniors we interviewed was Ethan Yates. Ethan is a senior here in Konawaena High School. Ethan plans to attend the Universal Technical Institute also known as UTI and become a Big Machinery Mainter. However, if things do not go according to plan, he also would accept being an apprentice in the Auto Mechanic field.  However, Ethan states that it was difficult for him to get to where he is now. He states that he did not start off his High School well, consistently ditching class and eventually started failing two classes, including Math and Social Studies. He continued this habit until he got to the 11th grade. Taking a step back, he then started realizing  this was no time to play around. He began attending class often in order to get his work done and be able to pass. Now it’s senior year, he states he feels confident that he made the right choice. He offers a word of advice to the upcoming freshman and incoming seniors, “Never ditch class and always try to learn, no matter what faces you.” 

We also interviewed senior Mark Basa.  He plans to attend University of Washington or Oregon to study and get a major in Fire Science or some type of sport, mainly football. He also explains however, that during his first year of high school, it was difficult for him to recover from what happened.  When Mark first began High School, he became afraid, as he was not ready for the large change. This took a toll on his grades. His grades slowly plummeted, and soon his grades just made it to where he could pass. This habit carried over through 10th grade. Then during his junior  year, he began to realize that developing this habit would greatly impact his future for the worst. He began to take school more seriously, turn in his work, and began to think of school positively. This has helped him recover in school and get him to where he is now. However, he says that if he can’t be a football player or firefighter, he wouldn’t mind being a coach or an athletic trainer. His advice for young people is to “always try and just adapt as quick as you can.”  

The last person we interviewed is the senior Breeze. She plans to attend  a University and get a degree in education. She also plans to be in the Administration department. The Administration Department includes positions such as principal, vice principal, office staff ande.t.c. She plans to  accomplish this in the Mainland, then eventually move back to Hawaii. She’s taken large leaps to try and accomplish this goal. She wishes that she could spend more time with her friends When we asked her why, she explained that she would have developed a stronger friendship, and she would have  received much more support. This would have really benefited her, as she would have been more confident. I then asked her what she would do if she never got into the job she wanted as an Administrator. She explained that she would’ve continued to pursue her dream but she would’ve been a teacher instead.  

The students and the staff here at Konawaena High School wish the seniors a great transition to adulthood as well as life. The seniors have already learned what is needed in order to succeed in life, and could  apply it as the days of school slow to a stop, as the days of adulthood and life start to begin. We bid farewell to all the seniors here at Konawaena Highschool and hope they succeed in achieving the dreams they’ve dreamt of and goals they set upon themselves for so long.  We hope the best for our fellow seniors and that they can live the life they’ve always wanted.